Thursday, January 24, 2013

Where to find modeling jobs?


If you are not signed exclusively with an agent then you need to read, print, study and apply this. Realistically, you need to be in a "major cities" or be willing to travel frequently to cities such as NY, LA, Miami.

Here are some great ways to find some gigs on your own:

1) Surprisingly, in the past, I have found great gigs on
craigslist.com, scroll down to the Gigs section and select Talent. Like anything you need to be very careful.....with time and experience you will be able to weed out the scammers/swindlers . My advice,"If its too good to be true then 9 times out of 10 its a scam". Here is some craigslist tips: 
  • if they request nude pictures or in swimsuit...its a scam.
  • if they say "no picture needed" and they want to meet in person...its a scam.
  • if they ask for a private skype session...its a scam (you never know who else maybe recording)
  • If they mention a MAJOR brand or products name for example "Ashley Stewart is looking for a model"......its a scam. Most major brands stay off things like Craigslist to hire models or they will be anonymous and say "major female clothing line is seeking..."
  • If they say a fee is involved to cast or submit your pictures....I personally will stay away from them.
  •  If they say this is a paid gig, flying you and your friends to Bahamas and then a cruise to Aruba plus 20,000 spending money....its a scam. Most real posts on craigslist are simple and to the point anything over the top is very suspect in my eyes.
Now there are many legitimate websites that require a monthly, quarterly or yearly membership to apply directly from their sites. Here are some of my favorites.

2) Actorsaccess.com
They cater to NY, CA, South and Midwest

3) Backstage.com
This covers most states and the site caters mostly to film, reality TV and theater but you would find a couple modeling gigs.

4) NYCastings.com
This one is more specific to NY/NJ/CT and PA. It lists a lot of modeling gigs as well as agency open calls and film/TV gigs.

5) You can also get gigs by networking at local fashion shows and events. An aspiring plus size model, should never leave the house without a few comp cards (will discuss this in future post) and biz cards. Take note of who you want to meet and never be shy to approach them.... a firm handshake and make your 4 minute speech short and sweet. Sample: "I model, I am a size___, I am professional, reliable and anxious to learn. I would like to give you my business card in case you ever need a model for your next shoot or show."


Note: Make sure to get a card from them or email so you can follow up a few weeks later :-).
 
This is like any other biz....you have to spread the word that you have a product (Y-O-U) and you are available to work. Some will bite and others won't; but like anything in life the more you try, the more opportunities you will have to get a HIT.

6) Another option is called "cold calling or cold emailing"

In my telemarketing days, I hated to do this but now that I am my own business I understand the logic of doing it. This option requires much research. You need to look for emails, numbers or addresses to folks in charge of hiring models and target them by emailing or mailing them your comp card(including a handwritten personal note or post-it to the comp card). Don't get discourage if you don't book a gig or get a reply...this is a hard one but when done correctly it can be a WIN.

Note: Make sure all emails are professionally written, proof-read and the font is reader friendly (not too big or too small).
 
7) And last but not least is word-of-mouth. In this social media age, FB, twitter, tumbler, Instgram and blogs to be considered word-of-mouth.

Don't be to proud to follow or request to befriend other plus size models or ladies that share the same passion as you. Some folks don't share good stuff but others give freely. You never know when you see a post like this "I just booked the Wendy show but they need one more size 14 girl." POW you just heard/read about a gig from the inside.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent information! Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing. I have always wanted to try to get into modeling just never really understood how to do it. I have had a professional pin up shoot done but that was in 2008 and I am in desperate need for a new one. Thanks again on all of the information you just shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been curious on how to get into the industry. I never knew where to start. I've only done a few shoots with a local retailer & I truly enjoyed it. I figured I would branch out a little. Does age make a difference in the FF industry like it does in the "smaller" fashion world? Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete