Monday, October 7, 2013

"On The Grind” - Asia Mone’t

"On The Grind” spotlights non-exclusive agency models that continue to defy the odds and make their mark on the plus modeling industry. Being a working plus model I understand the value of having a modeling agency but I am here to let you know that if you currently do not have one you can still be successful and accomplish your dream. I am a prime example of that and every month I will bring you my fellow models who are on their grind.

Our first spotlight model is Ms. Asia Mone’t. She was one of the first models I saw with a professional website when I first came into the industry in 1996. Asia Mone’t has been seen in national campaigns for Plus Retailer Ashley Stewart and she has walked the runway for Full Figured Fashion Week in New York City. Asia was the first Plus Size Model to appear in a campaign for intimates brand Le Mystere. You have also seen her in the Style Network’s hit reality show, “Glam Fairy,” BET's "Rip the Runway Model Search ", Inside Edition, Extra TV, The Today Show, Essence, Glamour and the list goes on. I have always admired her drive and professionalism.

Meet the Fabulous Asia Monet....

 

Christina: Have you always wanted to be a Plus Size Model?

Asia Monet: Nope.. To even dream to be a model was so farfetched to me.
 

Christina: Are you currently signed exclusively to an agency?

Asia Monet: I am not signed exclusively to one agency, but I do freelance with a couple.
 

Christina: Do you want to be signed? If so, have you contacted any agencies?

Asia Monet: At this stage of my career I don’t desire to be exclusive. Opportunities come through different agencies and directly to me.


Christina: How did you feel when you received that first agency NO?

Asia Monet: For me the first no I received came with a heavy feeling of rejection. A feeling of not being good enough to be in this industry. But as time went on "No" to me became "Not at this time”.


Christina: Has anyone ever made you feel less of a model because you didn't have an agent?

Asia Monet: Yes I have encountered the term "Agency Standard Model" with gives off the implication that if you didn't have an agent, you didn't live up to a certain standard.

 
Christina: What are some of the brands you have worked with?

Asia Monet: I have worked with Ashley Stewart, LeMystere, and Wacoal to name a few.

  
 
Christina: How do you get most of your jobs?

Asia Monet: At this stage of my modeling career most of jobs are from referrals and the agencies. In the beginning I sourced clients I thought I would be a good fit for. I answered casting calls on the web like from Craig's list and model network sites.

 
Christina: Do you model full time? If no, what is your other hustle?

Asia Monet: Yes my regular clients consist mostly of fit work. But I also design web sites for other creative professionals.

 
Christina: If you could use 3 words to describe your “modeling hustle” what would it be?

Asia Monet: My Model Hustle is Strategic, Purposeful and Preparatory.

 
Christina: Who are your model inspirations?

Asia Monet: I am inspired by fellow model hustlers but the one who I admire both as a Model and Business Mogul is Tyra Banks. She has built an empire stemming from her modeling career.

 
Christina: In 5 years where would you like to be?

Asia Monet: In 5 years I hope that I will be reaping the benefits of my sacrifice and grind in this industry with my own TV Show, Intimates Line, and a Best Selling Book :)

 
Christina: Any final thoughts for our fellow aspiring and professional model on the grind?

Asia Monet: Always prepare yourself with knowledge of your craft and the industry. When you understand that your Grind is a Business and treat it as such, there will be no limits to where you can go.
 



Website: www.AsiaMonet.com





No comments:

Post a Comment